love nature and live how you like

365 days of gardening obsession

04 March 2007

A combination of warm sun and cold wind. There are a few lambs and birds are chattering in the hedgerows, but no first flush of weeds yet to signal the arrival of spring garden-wise.
.
I'm finally getting to the end of the fruit tree planting: a plum, a gage and a damson went in yesterday. Hopefully the other walnut, a fig and two kiwis will all be planted in the next few days. A minaiture peach which I'd heeled into the greenhouse border is now happily flowering away so I guess that's staying put. Thompson and Morgan sent me some strawberries (Elsanta) I'm fairly certain I didn't order - so I did the right thing and planted them in one of the raised beds in the garden.
.
Vegetable-wise it's full time sowing and coaxing of improbably small seedlings. I'm hardening off some lettuces, kohl rabi and radishes. One of my stratified Alexanders sowings has germinated. Which was a suprisingly joyful experience (for me, but maybe the plant too) tempered only by the stubborn no-show of the bulbous chervil. And one of the Yuccas I proudly germinated now closely resembles a tomato seedling...


3 comments:

wren said...

LOL! I spent many months nurturing a lovely patch of small plants, many moons ago... I had a superb patch of...... nettles...! *hangs head in shame...*

terrace max said...

...oh I can do better/worse than that...

Long ago, when I knew nothing about gardening...maybe last year..I sowed some perilla into 3" pots. Only one germinated. Looked like a nettle. Checked books. Perilla looks a bit like nettles. Thought I'd errm smell it, just to be sure - of something. Got stung on nose!

Now at this point you'd think I'd glean that it was, indeed, a rogue nettle. But I confess I worried for at least ten minutes that I'd been attacked by a Japanese herb and might have to get a taxi to A&E...

Stupid perilla...

wren said...

LMAO!! Ok you win... stupid perilla.... and poor nose! Bet you sniff gingerly nowadays...

Wonder if I was actually growing perilla and never knew it? *wanders off in perplexed manner...*