love nature and live how you like

365 days of gardening obsession

04 March 2007

I planted the second Walnut ('Franquette') just before the heavens opened. They're still more than ajar some four hours late.
.
I retreated to the greenhouse only to find that most horizontal surfaces are now covered in growing things... very nice, but not good for the schedule. This corner of North Yokshire is usually mild but usually soggy which means the soil takes ages to warm up properly. Hence the policy of filling at least half the plot with overwintering crops (onions, garlic, kales, chicories, broad beans) and fruit - both of which can thrive in the damp early months. Then, by late May, the stage is suddenly all set. From a long wait massed in the greenhouse, within four months most half hardy crops have to come to fruition.
.
I guess the tailoring of cultivation to local conditions is a big part of the draw of this pastime.

5 comments:

Wardy said...

I got an email from lotty mate telling me to high tail it to the plots as we have sprouting brocs. Not been to the plot yet but did buy some cut price Stilton in expectation of soup. You get any yet ?

terrace max said...

My plants are looking rough after the mild winter. I've cleared off the mouldy leaves and, sure enough, some flower heads are forming. I reckon it'll be a couple of weeks before I'll be cutting any though, and I'm not expecting riches this year...

Reedos said...

You're not wrong about adjusting the timings for your region Max - just sowed some peas, which according to the instructions for Cyprus should have been sowed last October !! We'll see how they go.

terrace max said...

Right now Reedos I'm imagining Cyprus as some kind of vegetable growing shangri-la...compared to sodden old North Yorkshire anyhow...How much for a smallholding with, say, two acres..?

Reedos said...

As soon as I've sorted one out for me mate I'll let you know LOL