love nature and live how you like

365 days of gardening obsession

28 March 2007

Undaunted by the impending break in the weather I planted out the first lettuces and rocket into the raised beds in the garden - about forty plants in all. The rocket 'Apollo' and lettuce 'Barba dei Frati' seemed to be the best of the bunch, vigour-wise. I also potted on a dozen Tomato plants and the Artichokes. I finally got around to sowing more flower seeds: mainly Nicotianas.
.
Harvest-wise we had the first of the chard and the first of the rhubarb. Both very welcome. And the purple-sprouting broccoli I'd been waiting for turns out to be white sprouting. Not sure how big the florets should be before I cut them, but I'm looking forward to trying it.
.
Whilst pottering about I've noticed quite a few ladybirds already and three butterflies: two Peacocks and, I think, a Fritillary.

3 comments:

redimp said...

Me shallots are showing signs of life mate :o)

terrace max said...

Yup, mine too. Except Golden Gourmet which look, if not dead, kind of lifeless.

Wardy said...

Morning Max

Just checked back on yer Shimonitas! They are winter hardy - well mine have come through but still quite small at the mo so gave them a dose of chicken manure. Wonder if it was too early. Oh well too late now!