love nature and live how you like

365 days of gardening obsession

25 March 2007

A beautiful early-spring day. I planted 18 Arran Pilot seed potatoes into trenches filled with composted grass cuttings. I finished preparing the rest of the First Early bed: the annual weeds aren't making an appearance yet, but the perennial ones are flourishing in the warm weather.
.
The potatoes in the greenhouse have nearly reached the top of their sacks and the first-sown tomatoes need potting on into 5" pots.
.
With April just around the corner it feels like now or never when it comes to preparing the soil.

2 comments:

Wardy said...

I got me spuds in yesterday - well two lots anyway. I hope to get the rest done today. I aint done any trenches for mine. Heaven forbid! Mine have got a hole through me shoite and into the soil below. My old man bought me a spanking stainless steel bulb planter jobby -great for making spud sized holes. The idea is I don't have to bend to plant spuds but it takes a bit of target practice to get the spud in the 'ole. I'm brill at it now though. Getting the eyes the right way is another matter though. Tsk

terrace max said...

After balancing on a scaffolding plank trying to plant me spuds your stainless steel spanker thing sounds just the job.