love nature and live how you like

365 days of gardening obsession

01 April 2007

The great start to the growing season continues... cool, but not freezing, at night and sunny most days. Temperatures in the greenhouse are in the mid-twenties and even the aubergines seem at home there.
.
The amazingly dry conditions are perfect for opening up new beds: I created one just for some Jerusalem Artichokes today. A new variety for me, called Gerard. I also planted some Horseradish thongs in another unpromising corner of the allotment. Seems better to have some unpopular crops in these areas rather than just a bunch of weeds.
.
With the exception of the flowers and those going directly into soil, most of the March sowings are done. It's looking all set for an Easter weekend planting scores of spuds.

6 comments:

Wardy said...

I know I digress but have you grown any Shimonita's yet. I sowed some last October and they're looking ok and showing some bulky foliage. Only did half a dozen just as a trial like and wondered if you'd grown any yet

wren said...

I never know what to do with artichokes, apart from stare at them in a bemused way.. I WANNA PLANT SPUDS!!!! NOOOOWWWWWW!!! sigh.. bun please..

terrace max said...

Dear Mrs Wardy - please may I refer you to my photo blog entry of 29 July 2006 - you will see a shimonita onion lurking behind some kale. I got a fair number as big as leeks but as tender as spring onions - what more can one ask from an onion?

Interestingly (oh no, here I go), although it is a bunching onion and can indeed be planted in bunches, it is best, I believe, planted severally for its special characteristics to become evident. So it's a quasi-non-bunching bunching onion in my humble opinion.

This year I realised spring onions are best planted in bunches for harvesting in spring. Although most varieties are past their best now, I have a variety, Tonda Mussona, which is still growing but not going to seed. Fresh onion in April makes me happy.

Dear Mrs Wren, many apologies but I ate the bun. However, I can send you artichokes or bunching onions...or some nettles.

wren said...

Oh joy.. ta ever so... um.. any choccy???

Wardy said...

I've been eating spring onions anorl - those Winter White Lisbons and some red ones - New Holland Blood Red. Lovely they were too. Wish I'd done more!

Morning Mrs Wren. Soz about the lack of choccy!

Wardy said...

I too have Jerusalem artichokes! A first for me I have to say. I bunged mine in an unprepared bed (as usual) and they're up already. Dead chuffed cos they were freebies. Bet they taste all the better for that

So where are you Max? Gone very quiet on your blog.