love nature and live how you like

365 days of gardening obsession

02 April 2007

This afternoon I excavated a horrible overgrown bed in 'the orchard'. It was covered in meadow grass and couch and had been bothering me for weeks. After attempting to lever the tussocks out with a fork, I gave up and cut them like turf with a spade. Boring but effective, and created enough space for three new crowns of rhubarb (Early Champagne) all planted in a hole filled with composted weeds. Any empty spaces among the fruit trees got a sprinkling of either: red clover, poached egg plant or phacelia. I also picked about a dozen slender stems from an established crown. I saw my first bee of the year, and a wasp, and the pond is full of frog spawn.
.
Earlier in the day I'd picked some nettles for soup. Elsewhere the perennial herbs have put on enough growth to harvest: thyme, winter savory, hyssop, fennel, chives, french tarragon, rosemary, bay, sage and marjoram all on offer. Less edibly, the lavender, valerian and pulmonaria are all off and running.
.
In the greenhouse it was over 28 degrees. I potted on some purple cauliflower from 3" to 5" pots and, for the first time, everything needed a proper watering.

4 comments:

wren said...

Oooooooo I grew my Champagne Rhubarb stuff from de seed!! Fabulous stuff, got a big harvest on the first year too... stewed rhubarb and rice krispies... Mmmmmm!!! Still no blinkin buns though..*sigh*

terrace max said...

Big harvest first year from SEED??
Ten foot tomatoes?? Truly you are a gardening magic thing.

I ATE THE BUNS! But can offer a half eaten rhubarb and blackberry crumble...?

wren said...

Yup from seed... and nope to the magic thingy, just didn't know any better! lol And Mmmmmmmm to crumble! Tying napkin as I type... banging spoon on table!

redimp said...

Loads of bees round ours for the past week too - keep pointing them in the direction of my broadies but they seem more interested in the dandelions. Frogs are active but no spawn that I can see - maybe I have unattractive fen Frogs. Loads and loads of seven spot ladybirds too.

And bloke said on our site that the dreaded harlequin had been spotted in Lincoln - it was in the paper. I confessed that was me :o/